Business operators at Kariakoo have heaped blame on cargo assessment at Dar es Salaam port claiming it was the cause of the many challenges they face during importation of their merchandise.
Some illegal miners have attacked members of the Inter-Ministerial task force and small-scale miners after three Chinese foreigners they were working with, had been arrested.
The struggles of a man begin at birth said Ola Rotimi in his book ‘The gods are not to blame’. Jeffery is a living example of that proverb and his success-story is one worth reading.
The fight against illegal mining is being taken to another level, very soon, illegal miners, otherwise called galamseyers should have no reason to operate illegally.
The Uhuru-Raila relationship causes unease among Ruto's backers.
Deputy President William Ruto, Kisii leaders and Kisumu reps did not attend Kisumu State Lodge meeting.
Officers found woman's «badly decomposed» body after receiving a call from neighbours who reported a «strong odour.»
Police will establish why he had his gun while on sick leave.
Uganda leader accuses his Burundi counterpart of manipulating EAC.
Del Monte Foods is recalling more than 64,000 cases of canned corn that was not properly processed, which can result in contamination by spoilage organisms or pathogens that can lead to life-threatening illness if consumed. Saint Lucia is among 12 countries,...
Supporters say current constitution reflects an Islamist agenda and is insufficient for Sisi to carry out sweeping reforms.
Today, the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists released its annual tally of imprisoned reporters around the world,
Abdullahi Hashi Farah's candid confession about his gangster past clearly impressed the Immigration and Refugee Board officer who presided over his first detention hearing on Nov. 1, 2017.
Yemen's warring parties on Thursday agreed to a ceasefire on a vital port in a series of breakthroughs in UN-brokered peace talks that could mark a major turning point after four years of devastating conflict. If implemented, the deal on the Hodeida port, a key gateway for aid and food imports, could bring relief to a country where 14 million people stand on the brink of famine. In a highly symbolic gesture on the seventh and final day of the peace talks in Sweden, Yemeni Foreign Minister Khaled al-Yamani and rebel negotiator Mohammed Abdelsalam shook hands to loud applause -- although both later voiced scepticism. The two leaders gave contradictory readings of the Hodeida deal shortly after the announcement by UN chief Antonio Guterres. The week-long talks left a number of key issues unresolved. A new round of talks is scheduled for the end of January, with analysts predicting the US will continue to up the pressure on ally Saudi Arabia, a key backer of the Yemeni government, to end the conflict. Impoverished Yemen has been mired in fighting between Iran-backed Huthi rebels and troops loyal to President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi since 2014. But the war escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition stepped in on the government's side. - Withdrawal 'within days' - Under the Hodeida agreement, released on Thursday evening, an «immediate ceasefire» should come into effect in Hodeida and its three ports upon signing, followed by a «mutual redeployment of forces... to agreed upon locations outside the city and the ports». The UN will play a «leading role» in management and inspections at the ports, for four years under rebel control. The port will eventually be under the control of «local security forces» -- a term the rival parties disagree on. Yemeni Foreign Minister Khaled al-Yamani, who agreed to the deal in Sweden, declined to specify whether the forces would be solely state security forces but told AFP they would report to the «central authority» -- the government. But the head rebel negotiator told AFP the phrase referred to the «security forces currently present in Hodeida» -- the rebels. Saudi Arabia and its allies accuse the rebels of arms smuggling from Iran through Hodeida and the capital Sanaa, charges Iran has denied. The Saudi led-military coalition currently controls Yemen's maritime borders and airspace. UN chief Guterres said the rivals had also reached a «mutual understanding» on Yemen's third city of Taiz, the scene of some of the most intense battles in the conflict, to facilitate the delivery of aid. No further details were given. - 'More than expected' - No deal has been reached on the future of the airport in the capital Sanaa or on economic measures needed to spare the population from further hunger. Sanaa airport has been closed to commercial flights for nearly three years. The airport will be discussed at the next round of talks, UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths said. Foreign Minister Yamani said the deal was the biggest step forward since the outbreak of the war but remained «hypothetical». «We will wait and see,» he told AFP. The rebels' Abdelsalam told AFP his group was «bound by an agreement». US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was upbeat, saying «peace is possible». «The work ahead will not be easy, but we have seen what many considered improbable begin to take shape,» he said in a statement. «The end of these consultations can be the beginning of a new chapter for Yemen.» Analysts said the Rimbo talks progressed better than anticipated, two years after the last negotiations hosted by Kuwait in 2016 collapsed with no breakthrough after three months. «The Sweden talks have achieved more than anyone expected,» the International Crisis Group told AFP. «We have heard a different tone from the government of Yemen in these talks, and US pressure has clearly focused minds in the Gulf.» - US Senate vote - The case of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, along with the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, were the turning point for the US. The US, Britain and France are still the biggest arms suppliers to Saudi Arabia. Both the rebels and government alliance are accused of failing to protect civilians. The UN last year blacklisted the Saudi-led coalition for the killing and maiming of children in air raids. The US Senate on Thursday approved a resolution to end American backing for the Saudi-led intervention. The largely symbolic resolution cannot be debated in the House of Representatives before January, and would likely be vetoed in any case by US President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly signalled his backing for the Saudi regime. Saudi Arabia and its Arab coalition partners «strongly support» the agreement, Riyadh's US ambassador Khalid bin Salman said, while Iran hailed the breakthroughs as «promising». © Agence France-Presse
The hearing in the case of the Seychelles-based Chagossian community against the government of the United Kingdom is taking place in the UK from December 10-15, the Chagossian committee said in a communique on Tuesday. The claimant in the case representing the community in Seychelles, Solange Hoareau, is arguing that the November 2016 decision taken by the British government was unlawful on a numerous ground and is asking for a judicial review. The British government carried out a review of their policy on resettlement of the Chagos Islands between 2012 – 2016 to investigate the feasibility of resettlement and concluded, contrary to earlier assumptions, that resettlement was feasible. A consultation with Chagossians found that 98 percent of them wanted to move homeland. However, on November 16, 2016, the UK Government announced that it would not support the resettlement of Chagossians and would instead allocate 40 million British pounds towards a 10-year support package to improve the lives of Chagossians in their current communities. The current legislation prohibiting the Chagossians from enjoying any right of abode in the BIOT remains in effect. According to the communique, “the Chagossians were not given any replacement houses on Mauritius or the Seychelles and many have since lived in abject poverty, with a deep sadness and longing for their homeland.” It further states that “although the UK government has repeatedly stated that the exile of the Chagossians was wrong the government has only ever paid compensation to the Mauritian Chagossians. No compensation was ever paid to the Chagossians who were exiled to the Seychelles." Chagossians were forcibly evicted from the Chagos archipelago in 1960 when the UK leased the main island, Diego Garcia, to the United States to use as a military base. (Pierre Prosper) Photo License: CC-BY In her argument, Hoareau said the decision was irrational and amounted to a disproportionate interference with the fundamental rights of the Chagossians. She added that the British government “acted irrationally and unfairly by failing to undertake any assessment of the needs to which the £40m support package was directed and breached a legitimate expectation of consultation in relation to the scope and value of the support package.” Rosa Curling, a solicitor at Leigh Day -- a leading human rights and personal injury claimant firm based in London representing Hoareau -- said, “Our clients believe the latest decision taken by the government about the Chagossians is unlawful. It is time for our government to end the ongoing injustice face by the Chagossians. Our client’s right to abode must be recognised and Mrs Hoareau and her fellow Chagossians must be allowed to return home.” Around 2,000 Chagossians were forcibly evicted from the Chagos archipelago in the central Indian Ocean in 1960 after the UK leased the main island, Diego Garcia, to the United States to use as a military base. More than 200 were deported to Mahe, the main island of Seychelles, between 1967 and 1973, when the country was still a British colony. Pierre Prosper, the chair of the Seychelles Chagossians Committee, said, “The British Government must understand we will never give up the fight for the right to return to our homeland and to right the wrongs they have done to our community. Our elders are dying out every year, exiled from their homes, their ancestors’ land and their families’ graves. We fear the British Government is relying on this; that they are buying time and hoping we will lose interest or the will to fight on. But we will not.” Prosper added that “we hope the UK courts will now ensure the British Government has to reconsider their decision and request a resolution be found recognizing and finally respecting the needs and rights of our community.” Last year on June 22, Seychelles became one of the 94 countries which voted for the UN resolution requesting an advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice in the Hague, Netherlands, on the legal status of the Chagos island.
South Africa has formally bid to replace Cameroon as hosts of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, a senior football official told AFP Thursday. «We have submitted our bid documents,» South African Football Association spokesman Dominic Chimhavi said in reply to emailed questions from AFP. «(It) is now up to CAF to decide (who hosts the 2019 Cup of Nations).» Earlier Thursday, Egypt said it was willing to stage the biennial African football showpiece after Morocco surprisingly announced it would not bid. Morocco had been strong a media favourite to host the tournament for the first time since 1988. Last week, Cameroon was stripped of the right to stage the tournament with African football body CAF citing behind-schedule preparations and security concerns. The deadline for bids is 2200GMT Friday with a decision on who replaces Cameroon to be made in Senegal on January 9. South Africa last week «expressed an interest» in staging the Cup of Nations for the second time in six years, but stopped short of formally applying to be hosts. If South Africa is chosen, it will be third time it has replaced another country as hosts of a tournament first staged in Sudan 61 years ago. It took over from Kenya in 1996, going on to win the tournament just four years after returning to international football from apartheid-induced isolation. Post Moamer Kadhafi-era violence prevented Libya hosting the 2013 edition and South Africa stepped in three years after becoming the first African country to stage the World Cup. Record seven-time champions Egypt were hosts in 1959, 1974, 1986 and 2006 and won three of those four tournaments. The 2019 Cup of Nations will be the first to feature 24 teams, up from 16 in Gabon last year when Cameroon were surprise winners. There will also be a change of dates with the tournament moving from January/February to June/July to avoid club-versus-country clashes. Cameroon won in 2017 despite a number of stars, including Liverpool defender Joel Matip, opting to stay with their clubs in the middle of the season. © Agence France-Presse
Seychelles is hosting its first major international golf tournament from December 14 to 16 at the golf course at Constance Lemuria Resort on Praslin, the second-most populated island. The event is the second stage of the Mauritius Commercial Bank (MCB) Staysure Tour Indian Ocean Swing, which started at the Constance Belle Mare Plage in Mauritius. Around 32 of the world’s best golfers of the 2018 season are participating. The celebrity golf players landed in Seychelles on Tuesday after an intense three-day competition in Mauritius that ended on Sunday. Speaking at the reception ceremony at the airport, the chief executive of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Sherin Francis said, “It is an immense pleasure for me to see that all the efforts put in have concretised to such a beautiful moment. STB keeps marketing Seychelles as a polyvalent destination and having another international event on our calendar of events gives us that extra visibility. The event is going to be seen on very many sports channel and this is valuable publicity.” The celebrity golf players landed in Seychelles on Tuesday. (Vanessa Lucas, Seychelles Tourism Board) Photo License: CC-BY The first tour of the Indian Ocean Swing in Mauritius culminated with the American professional golfer Dennis Clark finishing on top of the podium for now followed closely by Atlevi Magnus of Sweden. The Seychelles segment of the tour is taking place at the 18-hole golf course of the Constance Lémuria Resort. The course built in 2002 by architect Rodney Wright has also won multiple World Travel Awards as Seychelles Leading Golf Resort and the Indian Ocean leading Golf Resort since its opening. With the course covering about three-quarters of Constance Lémuria’s property, the resort has 18 staff, whose job is to maintain the par-70, 18-hole golf course. Bruno Le Gac, the resort’s general manager, said that the staff responsible for the golf club “has been working extremely hard to ensure that we are ready for this prestigious international event, and they can be proud of what has been achieved so far.” Leading up to the final tour of the MCB-Staysure 2018 Tour Season, which starts on Friday, Gary Pouponneau, the golf director, said that security would tighten within the resort during the tournament. “Badges will be provided to people with a classification of access areas for people attending and participating,” said Pouponneau. Constance Lémuria is offering participants in the MCB-Staysure tournament a ‘Hole in One’ prize in the 15th tee for any pro achieving a hole in one during the competition. Mauritius Commercial Bank Group – the sponsor of the Staysure Tour Indian Ocean -- has signed a three-year agreement incorporating a new two-stage Final Series which will draw a close to the Staysure Tour season until 2020. At the first stage of the tour in Mauritius, Raoul Gufflet, the Deputy CEO of MCB, said, “The addition of Seychelles as the climax of the season, and the creation of the Indian Ocean Swing, makes us not only proud but really excited to have our clients, those of Staysure and the regular clients of Constance Hotels & Resorts, discover the incredible landscapes of the golf courses and resorts of Mauritius and Seychelles.” In Mauritius, the top 50 players on the Staysure Tour Order of Merit competed for a prize fund of $508,000 from December 7-9. The field has now been reduced to 32 for the Second Stage in Seychelles, playing for a prize fund of $300,000 as the race for the John Jacobs Trophy goes down to the wire from December 14-16. The Staysure Tour, formerly known as the European Senior Tour, is the men’s professional golf tour for members aged 50 and older.
As 2018 comes to a close, everyone from media outlets to influencers to corporations is rolling out their year-in-review packages.
[VOA] The December 23 elections in the Democratic Republic of Congo are the country's most important in more than a decade. After delaying a new poll for two years, longtime President Joseph Kabila is stepping aside. Two main candidates are vying to replace him, one is his handpicked successor, the other an opposition leader.
[VOA] A leading African soccer official was arrested Wednesday in France on charges of war crimes committed in the Central African Republic.
[The Conversation Africa] Ebola in the Democratic Republic Congo (DRC) has now spread to urban areas. The Conversation Africa's Moina Spooner spoke to Mosoka Fallah who was head of case detection during Liberia's ebola outbreak in 2014 and 2015 about his experience, and what lessons that experience offers.
The Deputy Minister of Works and Housing has launched the maiden edition of the City Construction & Property (CCP) Awards at the British Council, Accra on Wednesday, December 12, 2018.
A Chinese man has been making national headlines after it was revealed that he has been waiting in a bookstore in Beijing for over 50 days hoping to meet a girl he has “fallen in love with” after making eye-contact for 10 seconds.
The Mankralo [clan head] of the Prampram Traditional Area, Nene Atsure Benta III, has been gunned down by some unknown assailants at Apollonia, in the Kpone-Katamanso Municipality of Greater Accra.
SINGAPORE - Singapore's food watchdog has responded to warnings from Malaysia that it may stop or limit egg exports, saying that the Republic has plans in place to acquire eggs from elsewhere if need be. Earlier this week, Malaysia's Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the country is looking into limiting or stopping the export of eggs, to ensure a sufficient supply for its domestic market.
GEORGE TOWN - With only days left to the year-end, the last few planes flying to Penang International Airport (PIA) for the year will be helping to break the airport’s record of annual passenger flow. PIA, Malaysia’s oldest airport, is all set to surpass last year’s performance by well over 500,000 flight passengers shuffling in and out of the terminal. It will record more than 7.8 million arrivals and departures this year, trumping last year’s record of 7,231,598. In 2016, the passenger flow was 6,684,026.
SINGAPORE - An attempt to smuggle 12 puppies was foiled by an Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officer on Tuesday (Dec 11). At about 3.45am, a Singapore-registered car driven by a 25-year-old Singaporean man was stopped for car boot checks when it arrived at the Tuas Checkpoint. During the inspection, an ICA officer noticed some things were amiss with the car boot and conducted further checks, said a joint statement by the ICA and Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) on Thursday.
The United National Front (UNF) is currently engaged in a dialogue with a selected group of SLFP MPs for the purpose of forming a government, MP Nalin Bandara Jaymaha said today.
«The verdict of the Supreme Court is a validation of what the Congress party stated months ago that the Supreme Court is not the forum to decide such sensitive defence contracts,» he told reporters.