A Pakistani cabinet minister says Islamabad will continue to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Qatar under a 15-year agreement, despite the severing of diplomatic ties with Qatar by Saudi Arabia and some other countries.
Shahid Khaqan Abb
A Pakistani cabinet minister says Islamabad will continue to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Qatar under a 15-year agreement, despite the severing of diplomatic ties with Qatar by Saudi Arabia and some other countries.
Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, the federal minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources, said Qatar and Pakistan last year signed a $1 billion agreement, under which Qatar's Liquefied Gas Company Limited will sell LNG from 2016 to year 2031 to state-run Pakistan State Oil.
He said since no sanctions have been imposed on Qatar by the United Nations, Pakistan and Qatar were bound to abide by the agreement.
Qatar has released an initial report into the alleged hack of its state-run news agency, an incident which helped spark a diplomatic crisis between the energy-rich country and Arab nations.
The Qatari Interior Ministry said late Wednesday that the website of the Qatar News Agency was initially hacked in April with "high techniques and innovative methods."
It said hackers installed a file and then published a fake news item attributed to Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, just after midnight May 24.
The ministry did not say who it suspected carried out the attack. It also thanked the FBI and the British National Commission for Combating Crime for assisting it in its investigation.
The alleged fake news item, which had Sheikh Tamim making controversial comments on Iran and Israel, immediately was picked up by Saudi and Emirati media, laying the groundwork for the crisis that began Monday (05.06.2017.)
Kuwait's emir has traveled to Qatar and met that country's leader as part of his efforts to mediate an end to a crisis that's seen Arab nations cut ties to the energy-rich country and attempt to isolate it.
Kuwait's Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah was met planeside by Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, when he arrived on Wednesday night.
The two held talks, though details of their discussions were not released. Sheikh Sabah earlier Wednesday traveled to Dubai where he met with Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who also serves as prime minister and vice president of the UAE.
Sheikh Sabah also has traveled to Saudi Arabia in his efforts.
It said hackers installed a file and then published a fake news item attributed to Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, just after midnight May 24.
The ministry did not say who it suspected carried out the attack. It also thanked the FBI and the British National Commission for Combating Crime for assisting it in its investigation.
The alleged fake news item, which had Sheikh Tamim making controversial comments on Iran and Israel, immediately was picked up by Saudi and Emirati media, laying the groundwork for the crisis that began Monday (05.06.2017.)
Kuwait's emir has traveled to Qatar and met that country's leader as part of his efforts to mediate an end to a crisis that's seen Arab nations cut ties to the energy-rich country and attempt to isolate it.
Kuwait's Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah was met planeside by Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, when he arrived on Wednesday night.
The two held talks, though details of their discussions were not released. Sheikh Sabah earlier Wednesday traveled to Dubai where he met with Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who also serves as prime minister and vice president of the UAE.
Sheikh Sabah also has traveled to Saudi Arabia in his efforts.
From Greece to Thailand, these are the world's 24 best beaches, as ranked in Tripadvisor's The Travellers' Choice Awards Best of the Best.
Major General Wolf-Jürgen Stahl also lashed out at Donald Trump for being an 'egomaniac, narcissistic, erratic dealmaker with authoritarian leanings'.
Thomas Plamberger, 39, blinked back tears as he spoke to the hushed courtroom for the first time about the death of Kerstin Gurtner, 33, in a tragedy that went around the world.
Thames Valley Police said the eighth in line to the British throne has been held on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
An intoxicated woman slapped an elderly taxi driver in an unprovoked attack after stating that she did not have any cash or cashless payment methods to settle her $24 fare. Shalini Devarajan, 36, was sentenced to two weeks' jail on Feb 19 after she pleaded guilty to assaulting the male victim, who was 73 years old at the time. Deputy Public Prosecutor Adelle Tai said the fare remains unpaid. Court documents stated that Shalini reeked of alcohol when she boarded the victim's taxi at around 3pm on Nov 11, and fell asleep during the ride. When they reached her stated destination in Yishun Street 22, the driver woke her up and told her the fare was $24. She replied she had no cash or cashless payment methods with her, and needed to go up to her unit to get the money. «The [driver] asked her to leave her phone in the [taxi] and go up to the unit, but she refused. [He] then suggested following her up to the unit to get the money, but the accused refused this as well,» DPP Tai said.
Stay in the know with a recap of our top stories today.1. 'Peace to your homes and blessings': PM Wong extends warm wishes to Singaporean Muslims for RamadanPrime Minister Lawrence Wong extended his «warmest wishes» to Muslims observing the holy month of Ramadan in a video posted on his Facebook on Wednesday (Feb 18)... » READ MORE2. Singapore citizens may have served in Israeli military during Gaza war: IDF data
Malawi has signed what government officials are calling a landmark minerals deal with a United States-based trading firm, a move that could position the country within Washington’s strategic supply chain ambitions—but also raises familiar questions about transparency, long-term value and national benefit. The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), signed at the 2026 Mining Indaba in Cape […] The post Malawi Signs US Strategic Minerals Deal, but Questions Linger Over Transparency and Long-Term National Benefit appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
A stark contrast in urban sanitation and environmental management is creating a visible divide between Malawi’s two largest cities, Blantyre and Lilongwe. While both serve as critical hubs for the nation’s economy, housing major businesses, government departments and non-governmental organizations, their approaches to maintaining a clean and orderly urban landscape have placed them on diverging […] The post A Tale of Two Cities: Sanitation Divide Highlights Urban Management Challenges in Malawi appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
B.C. is in «untested waters» according to one lawyer after a trial, with evidence spanning centuries, granted Aboriginal title to some privately held land in B.C. The decision has stirred divisive debate in the province around reconciliation and its legal commitments to First Nations.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged the global community at the AI Impact Summit to leverage technological disruption as humanity's greatest opportunity, emphasizing «right action» guided by «right understanding.» The summit also saw the country's nameplate displayed as «Bharat,» a recurring practice at official global events, sparking renewed discussion.
A man identifying as a Karni Sena spokesperson was detained in Kota for allegedly uploading a video threatening to shoot Rahul Gandhi and 25 other Congress MPs. The threats were issued over alleged verbal abuse of Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla. Both BJP and Karni Sena have denied any association with the accused.
A fire broke out at an eatery at Little India on Thursday (Feb 19) afternoon at 1A Rowell Road.Checks by AsiaOne indicate that this is the address of Bangladeshi eatery Khana Basmati Restaurant. Videos of the incident show what appears to be the kitchen exhaust duct on fire.Police officers responding to the incident were seen trying to establish a cordon around the area, asking passers-by who had gathered at the scene to move back.At least two fire engines and two light fire attack vehicles were at the scene.Responding to AsiaOne's queries, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that the fire, which involved items in the restaurant's kitchen, was extinguished by a fire hose.There were no reported injuries, and the cause of the fire is being investigated.[[nid:730067]]
SINGAPORE — An intoxicated woman slapped an elderly taxi driver in an unprovoked attack after stating that she did not have any cash or cashless payment methods to settle her $24 fare. Shalini Devarajan, 36, was sentenced to two weeks' jail on Feb 19 after she pleaded guilty to assaulting the male victim, who was 73 years old at the time. Deputy Public Prosecutor Adelle Tai said the fare remains unpaid. Court documents stated that Shalini reeked of alcohol when she boarded the victim's taxi at around 3pm on Nov 11, and fell asleep during the ride. When they reached her stated destination in Yishun Street 22, the driver woke her up and told her the fare was $24. She replied she had no cash or cashless payment methods with her, and needed to go up to her unit to get the money. «The (driver) asked her to leave her phone in the (taxi) and go up to the unit, but she refused. (He) then suggested following her up to the unit to get the money, but the accused refused this as well,» DPP Tai said.
A 76-year-old woman was found dead at the foot of a HDB block in Queenstown on the second day of Chinese New Year (Feb 18).The incident happened at about 5.55am at Block 13 Holland Drive, according to police.In two videos seen by AsiaOne, a police cordon extended from the concrete area and grass patch in front of the block to a sheltered walkway at the side of the block.In response to AsiaOne's queries, the police said that the woman was believed to have fallen from a height and was found lying motionless at the foot of the block. She was pronounced dead at the scene by a Singapore Civil Defence Force paramedic. The police added that they do not suspect foul play based on preliminary investigations.Police investigations are ongoing.[[nid:730067]]editor@asiaone.com
Robert Jenrick has predicted his former party, which fell to a record low 121 seats at the last election, is close to extinction.
I never thought of the police as a sensitive body until I first raised doubts about the Lucy Letby case. Good heavens, how easily upset the Cheshire Constabulary are.
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- Low-cost carrier Jambojet faced significant operational disruptions during the recently ended aviation workers strike, which was called off following an agreement between the Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) and the Kenya Aviation Workers Union (KAWU).
[RFI] Social media platforms including Facebook and TikTok were no longer available in Gabon on Wednesday, AFP journalists and a watchdog said, after regulators suspended them over security concerns amid anti-government protests.
[New Times] When Pierre Rutayisire arrived in Rwanda as a refugee from eastern DR Congo in 1995, his family had no source of income.
[MSF] After eight weeks of emergency intervention by Doctors Without Borders (MSF) in Sangé in the province of South Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the number of cholera cases haves fallen by 90%. The epidemic - the most serious in the area in five years - is driven by limited access to water collection points and a fragile health system. It has also been exacerbated by the mass displacements of people fleeing the ongoing clashes between the Congolese army, allied
The Supreme Court has criticized the Tamil Nadu electricity board's promise of free electricity to all consumers. The apex court expressed concern that such freebies, regardless of financial need, hinder national economic development. It noted that states often offer these schemes, funded by taxpayer money, without proper budgetary justification.
Supermarket chain FairPrice announced on Thursday (Feb 19) that it will be providing refreshments for Muslim customers breaking their fast in-store, as Muslims in Singapore began observing the holy month of Ramadan on the same day. The company will be distributing 80,000 sets of refreshments — an apple, dates or biscuits along with a drink — to Muslim customers 30 minutes before and after the breaking of fast. This initiative — in its 18th consecutive edition — will run throughout the fasting month, which ends on March 20, and be available across 60 FairPrice stores islandwide.On Feb 19 and 20, the supermarket chain's philanthropic arm FairPrice Foundation will distribute 500 Ramadan care packs to Yayasan Mendaki beneficiaries.The care packs will contain fresh apples, dates, fresh milk, cooking paste and other break fast essentials.FairPrice Foundation will also sponsor a breaking of fast event on March 4. It said the event, held in collaboration with the National Trade Union Congress, will benefit more than 100 beneficiaries.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has strongly criticized Prime Minister Narendra Modi for using the prefix 'Swami' for Sri Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsadeva on his birth anniversary. Banerjee stated this displayed cultural insensitivity, as the saint was revered as 'Thakur,' with 'Swami' being a title for his disciples. Modi had earlier paid tributes to Swami Ramakrishna Paramahansa.
The EU’s Eastern Partnership policy, established in 2009, links the EU with six post-Soviet states: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine. The policy supports political, social and economic reforms in these countries to strengthen democracy and good governance, energy security, environmental protection and economic and social development. Moldova and Ukraine have made the most progress, having been granted EU candidate country status in 2022. This was followed by the European Council’s decision on 14 December 2023 to open accession negotiations with them. On 24 and 25 June 2024 the EU held the first Intergovernmental Conference at ministerial level to officially open accession negotiations with Ukraine and Moldova, but the formal opening of negotiating clusters is still pending as of January 2026. Belarus, by contrast, remains under authoritarian rule and faces EU sanctions for human rights violations and support for Russia’s war against Ukraine. Source : © European Union, 2026 - EP
Ukraine’s Vladimir Zelensky has said he would not discuss the historical background of the conflict with Russian President Vladimir Putin Read Full Article at RT.com
US President Donald Trump is weighing options for a military attack on Iran, the Wall Street Journal said Read Full Article at RT.com
Bangladesh’s former interim administration drew flak for attacks on Hindus during recent unrest Read Full Article at RT.com