A Pakistani cabinet minister says Islamabad will continue to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Qatar under a 15-year agreement, despite the severing of diplomatic ties with Qatar by Saudi Arabia and some other countries.
Shahid Khaqan Abb
A Pakistani cabinet minister says Islamabad will continue to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Qatar under a 15-year agreement, despite the severing of diplomatic ties with Qatar by Saudi Arabia and some other countries.
Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, the federal minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources, said Qatar and Pakistan last year signed a $1 billion agreement, under which Qatar's Liquefied Gas Company Limited will sell LNG from 2016 to year 2031 to state-run Pakistan State Oil.
He said since no sanctions have been imposed on Qatar by the United Nations, Pakistan and Qatar were bound to abide by the agreement.
Qatar has released an initial report into the alleged hack of its state-run news agency, an incident which helped spark a diplomatic crisis between the energy-rich country and Arab nations.
The Qatari Interior Ministry said late Wednesday that the website of the Qatar News Agency was initially hacked in April with "high techniques and innovative methods."
It said hackers installed a file and then published a fake news item attributed to Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, just after midnight May 24.
The ministry did not say who it suspected carried out the attack. It also thanked the FBI and the British National Commission for Combating Crime for assisting it in its investigation.
The alleged fake news item, which had Sheikh Tamim making controversial comments on Iran and Israel, immediately was picked up by Saudi and Emirati media, laying the groundwork for the crisis that began Monday (05.06.2017.)
Kuwait's emir has traveled to Qatar and met that country's leader as part of his efforts to mediate an end to a crisis that's seen Arab nations cut ties to the energy-rich country and attempt to isolate it.
Kuwait's Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah was met planeside by Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, when he arrived on Wednesday night.
The two held talks, though details of their discussions were not released. Sheikh Sabah earlier Wednesday traveled to Dubai where he met with Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who also serves as prime minister and vice president of the UAE.
Sheikh Sabah also has traveled to Saudi Arabia in his efforts.
It said hackers installed a file and then published a fake news item attributed to Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, just after midnight May 24.
The ministry did not say who it suspected carried out the attack. It also thanked the FBI and the British National Commission for Combating Crime for assisting it in its investigation.
The alleged fake news item, which had Sheikh Tamim making controversial comments on Iran and Israel, immediately was picked up by Saudi and Emirati media, laying the groundwork for the crisis that began Monday (05.06.2017.)
Kuwait's emir has traveled to Qatar and met that country's leader as part of his efforts to mediate an end to a crisis that's seen Arab nations cut ties to the energy-rich country and attempt to isolate it.
Kuwait's Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah was met planeside by Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, when he arrived on Wednesday night.
The two held talks, though details of their discussions were not released. Sheikh Sabah earlier Wednesday traveled to Dubai where he met with Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who also serves as prime minister and vice president of the UAE.
Sheikh Sabah also has traveled to Saudi Arabia in his efforts.
Ride-hailing operator Grab on Friday (May 23) announced that it will extend its temporary fuel surcharge and adjustment to metered taxi fares for an additional two months, to provide its driver-partners with continued relief amid elevated pump prices.In a media alert on Friday night, Grab said both the 90-cent fuel surcharge for ride-hail services and the 1-cent increase in metered fare will be extended till July 31.The operator reiterated that the amounts will go entirely to its driver-partners, with no commission taken by the platform.Alvin Wee, senior director of transport and country operations at Grab Singapore said that they recognise the pressure faced by their driver-partners due to higher pump prices.«We are maintaining these adjustments to ensure driving remains a viable livelihood while keeping the marketplace sustainable,» Wee said.
82 people have been reported dead in a coal mine explosion in northern China, with Xi Jinping ordering a rescue mission and investigation Read Full Article at RT.com
Russian wheat exports to Africa have jumped sharply as Kenya, Sudan and Egypt ramped up purchases, Agroexport stated Read Full Article at RT.com
Hungary has restored an Orban-era ban on Ukrainian agricultural imports after the new government “accidentally” let it lapse Read Full Article at RT.com
Experts believe the smiling woman in Leonardo Da Vinci's 16th Century portrait was overweight with high cholesterol or an underactive thyroid.
Sources are claiming Katie has been left 'beyond furious' to see Lee has re-emerged on social media after his disappearance, after previously sharing fears he'd been 'kidnapped' in Dubai .
Hours after Man City confirmed Guardiola's departure - revealed by Daily Mail Sport on Monday - removal men were seen taking belongings away from his Manchester apartment.
England boss Thomas Tuchel says the England squad he is taking to the World Cup are those who are 'unselfish' and '100 per cent committed' rather than the most-talented.
Michel Ongoundou Loundah démonte la République du “bling-bling” et des annonces sans lendemain Face aux caméras de Gabon Média Time TV, Michel Ongoundou Loundah n'est pas venu faire de la figuration. Pendant plus d'une demi-heure, le président du parti d'opposition Réagir a déroulé une charge froide, méthodique et souvent mordante contre un pouvoir qu'il juge davantage occupé à scénariser sa propre grandeur qu'à gouverner un pays en crise silencieuse. Derrière les inaugurations (...) - POLITIQUE / SUJET_ECRIT_MAISON
Le Président de la République, Chef de l'État, Chef du Gouvernement, Son Excellence Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema, a accordé ce jour une audience à Son Excellence Simon Day, Haut-Commissaire du Royaume-Uni près la République Gabonaise. Cette rencontre s'inscrit dans la dynamique de renforcement des relations bilatérales entre Libreville et Londres, dans un contexte marqué par le retour du Gabon sur la scène diplomatique internationale. A cette occasion, le diplomate britannique a (...) - DIPLOMATIE / SUJET_ECRIT_MAISON
Le Président de la République, Chef de l'Etat, Son Excellence Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema, a accordé une audience à Monsieur Henri Claude Oyima, Président-Directeur Général du Groupe BGFI Bank, et ce à l'issue de l'Assemblée Générale ayant validé les comptes de l'exercice 2024-2025 du premier groupe bancaire de la sous-région. Le Président de la République, Chef de l'Etat, Son Excellence Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema, a accordé une audience à Monsieur Henri Claude Oyima, (...) - ECONOMIE / SUJET_ECRIT_MAISON
A 26-year-old Malaysian man will be charged in court on Saturday (May 23) over his alleged role in a scam involving impersonation of Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) officers.Following his arrest on Friday, the number of Malaysians caught in Singapore for allegedly helping scam syndicates to collect cash and valuables since March this year now stands at 27.On May 21, a 34-year-old Malaysian woman was charged for assisting a crime syndicate to collect cash amounting to $13,700 and gold from a female victim.Modus operandi: Money laundering investigationPolice said they received a report on May 19 from a 61-year-old female victim who had received a call from an unknown person claiming to be from YouTrip on May 13.The victim was told that her account was involved in a money laundering investigation, and she was instructed to contact a purported MAS officer for further details.
Seven persons, aged between 19 and 49, will be charged in court on Saturday (May 23) for their alleged involvement in fraudulently registering SIM cards that facilitated criminal activities.Police said in a news release on Friday night that the individuals, comprising a Singaporean and six Malaysians, were arrested during an island-wide enforcement operation between May 21 and 22.The operation targeted errant retailers who were allegedly engaged in the registration of postpaid SIM cards that were subsequently used by overseas syndicates in crime.According to the police, the seven men had allegedly used the information of actual customers to register for additional postpaid SIM cards. These cards were then supplied to other people, and the mobile lines were subsequently used in impersonation scams.Those convicted of facilitating the fraudulent registration of SIM cards that facilitate criminal activity will face a fine of up to $10,000, jail of up to three years, or both.
Malawi is staring at a growing education crisis as rising poverty, weak funding, and the lingering effects of Covid-19 continue pushing thousands of children out of school, threatening the country’s future workforce and deepening social inequality. Despite years of promises about free and universal education, many children are still failing to complete primary and secondary […] The post Malawi’s Education Crisis Deepens as Thousands Remain Out of School appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
There was a time when South Africa represented Africa’s ultimate promise — the industrial giant, the diplomatic heavyweight, the continent’s proof that liberation could evolve into prosperity, influence, and continental leadership. Today, that promise is flickering dangerously. What the world is witnessing is no longer isolated xenophobic violence or random social unrest. It is something […] The post OPINION | The Great African Own Goal: How South Africa Is Sabotaging Itself — And the Continent appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
US President Donald Trump has invested millions of dollars in a revolving sushi restaurant chain, his latest financial disclosure shows Read Full Article at RT.com
Malawi Police Service’s Lingadzi Police Station will on June 5, 2026 host a fundraising dinner at Bingu International Convention Centre aimed at raising money for additional patrol vehicles and security equipment. Internal documents seen by Nyasa Times reveal that the station is struggling with serious mobility challenges that are affecting its ability to respond effectively […] The post Lingadzi Police to Hold Fundraising Dinner for Patrol Vehicles appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
Malawi Electoral Commission has suffered a major embarrassment after being ordered to immediately vacate its offices at Development House following its failure to respond to a tenancy renewal offer, exposing deep confusion, poor coordination, and growing pressure surrounding the controversial relocation of the electoral body to Blantyre. Property owners, Capital Developments Limited (CDL), through property […] The post MEC Humiliated as Landlords Throw Electoral Body Out of Lilongwe Offices appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
After crashing her car into a kerb in Bugis, a woman decided to leave it behind and have supper with her friends.Carrissa Loh, 30, had also refused to return to the scene of the accident when contacted by the police.For this incident, Loh was charged with failing to drive with due care for others, failing to remain at the scene to assist a police officer after an accident, and leaving a vehicle on a road in a position that can cause danger and obstruction to other road users. She also faced charges for an unrelated incident where she swapped seats with a disqualified driver and provided false information to police officers, local media reported.The woman faced a total of seven charges, five of which she pleaded guilty to on Wednesday (May 20). The remaining charges will be taken into consideration during sentencing, according to Shin Min Daily News.The crash took place at about 3.03am on Feb 1, at the junction of Middle Road and Queen Street.
By sheer luck, a woman from Singapore reportedly won the 31.9 million ringgit (S$10.3 million) jackpot at a Genting casino.She had been gambling at one of the casino's 30 «Dragon Link» slot machines at about 2pm on Thursday (May 21) when she won the huge sum, according to China Press.The Malaysian publication also stated that this was the highest recorded slot machine jackpot in the casino's history.According to a Facebook post by user Rex Chang, the woman had only bet 40 ringgit at the machine.Netizens who saw the post were in awe and congratulated her on the win.The slot machine had been accumulating the jackpot amount for quite some time. It was popular with bettors as it had reached a jackpot of 12 million ringgit last year, reported China Press.The highest amount it accepts at a time is 880 ringgit, which some high-stakes players would bet, the publication added.[[nid:735696]]bhavya.rawat@asiaone.com
The Delhi High Court strongly criticized the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for its stance on Vinesh Phogat's Olympic 2024 disqualification, calling it a «national shame.» The court vowed to ensure Phogat's participation in upcoming Asian Games trials, deeming WFI's selection policy «absolutely retrograde» and potentially discriminatory.
Following Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari's Delhi visit, the Centre has approved Rs 39,000 crore for West Bengal's water resources ministry schemes. Prime Minister Modi pledged support for central projects and economic development, aiming to boost welfare initiatives like Ayushman Bharat and rural employment. Discussions also covered border security with Home Minister Amit Shah.
Cockroach Janata Party founder Abhijeet Dipke reported his Instagram and other social media accounts were hacked, days after his satirical campaign went viral. The movement, inspired by remarks allegedly made by the Chief Justice of India, gained significant traction online. Dipke had previously claimed to have received death threats.
A local BRS leader, Chinthalapadi Madhu, was discovered deceased inside a gunny bag near Yerkaram stage in Suryapet district. Police suspect foul play, with the 42-year-old reportedly murdered before his body was abandoned. Madhu had a prior murder case from 2008. Authorities are investigating and searching for the perpetrators.
Multiple police reports have been filed against a former part-time actor who allegedly borrowed up to $500,000 from various people and has failed to pay them back.Back in 2013, it was reported by Shin Min Daily News that the man, referred to as A, had borrowed money from several Mediacorp and Hong Kong actors, allegedly amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars.He reportedly did not pay them back and subsequently disappeared.The Chinese daily has now reported that A has since resumed his borrowing habits, and at least six people have reported him to the police so far for being owed around $500,000.Claimed he was scammed, deposits for tour groupOne of his alleged victims, a housewife in her 50s surnamed Chen, told Shin Min she has lent him over $50,000.She met A at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital in 2022 through a friend, where he introduced himself as a tour guide agent.Chen subsequently joined his tours to locations in Asia, Alaska and the Mediterranean.She said that A had started complaining about being scammed and having his bank account frozen in 2023, and in May 2024, she lent him $10,000.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi faced sharp criticism from Congress for a third fuel price hike in ten days, with the party labeling him «Mehengai Man» Modi. Accusations claim the government prioritizes oil companies over citizens, raising petrol and diesel prices again. This move, impacting ordinary people, contrasts with global relief efforts, sparking concerns about benefiting capitalists.
Sources cited by the news portal say Donald Trump has grown «increasingly frustrated about the negotiations with Iran»
President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva says more large countries must become members of the Security Council
The TV channel added that no final decision on strikes had been reached as of Friday afternoon