A Pakistani cabinet minister says Islamabad will continue to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Qatar under a 15-year agreement, despite the severing of diplomatic ties with Qatar by Saudi Arabia and some other countries.
Shahid Khaqan Abb
A Pakistani cabinet minister says Islamabad will continue to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Qatar under a 15-year agreement, despite the severing of diplomatic ties with Qatar by Saudi Arabia and some other countries.
Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, the federal minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources, said Qatar and Pakistan last year signed a $1 billion agreement, under which Qatar's Liquefied Gas Company Limited will sell LNG from 2016 to year 2031 to state-run Pakistan State Oil.
He said since no sanctions have been imposed on Qatar by the United Nations, Pakistan and Qatar were bound to abide by the agreement.
Qatar has released an initial report into the alleged hack of its state-run news agency, an incident which helped spark a diplomatic crisis between the energy-rich country and Arab nations.
The Qatari Interior Ministry said late Wednesday that the website of the Qatar News Agency was initially hacked in April with "high techniques and innovative methods."
It said hackers installed a file and then published a fake news item attributed to Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, just after midnight May 24.
The ministry did not say who it suspected carried out the attack. It also thanked the FBI and the British National Commission for Combating Crime for assisting it in its investigation.
The alleged fake news item, which had Sheikh Tamim making controversial comments on Iran and Israel, immediately was picked up by Saudi and Emirati media, laying the groundwork for the crisis that began Monday (05.06.2017.)
Kuwait's emir has traveled to Qatar and met that country's leader as part of his efforts to mediate an end to a crisis that's seen Arab nations cut ties to the energy-rich country and attempt to isolate it.
Kuwait's Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah was met planeside by Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, when he arrived on Wednesday night.
The two held talks, though details of their discussions were not released. Sheikh Sabah earlier Wednesday traveled to Dubai where he met with Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who also serves as prime minister and vice president of the UAE.
Sheikh Sabah also has traveled to Saudi Arabia in his efforts.
It said hackers installed a file and then published a fake news item attributed to Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, just after midnight May 24.
The ministry did not say who it suspected carried out the attack. It also thanked the FBI and the British National Commission for Combating Crime for assisting it in its investigation.
The alleged fake news item, which had Sheikh Tamim making controversial comments on Iran and Israel, immediately was picked up by Saudi and Emirati media, laying the groundwork for the crisis that began Monday (05.06.2017.)
Kuwait's emir has traveled to Qatar and met that country's leader as part of his efforts to mediate an end to a crisis that's seen Arab nations cut ties to the energy-rich country and attempt to isolate it.
Kuwait's Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah was met planeside by Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, when he arrived on Wednesday night.
The two held talks, though details of their discussions were not released. Sheikh Sabah earlier Wednesday traveled to Dubai where he met with Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who also serves as prime minister and vice president of the UAE.
Sheikh Sabah also has traveled to Saudi Arabia in his efforts.
Two foreigners, aged 25 and 38, were arrested on May 5 for allegedly dealing in duty-unpaid beer and liquor. In a media release on Wednesday (May 20), Singapore Customs said it uncovered sophisticated concealment methods involving non-alcoholic packaging during its enforcement operation on May 5, adding that more than 9,200 cans and bottles of duty-unpaid beer and liquor were seized.During the operation, Singapore Customs officers observed a man moving a pallet of goods out of an industrial unit along Bedok North Avenue 4.The officers went on to uncover 13 pallets containing duty-unpaid beer and liquor concealed among cartons and packaging labelled as non-alcoholic drinks.A total of 2,460 cans and 6,468 bottles of beer, as well as 320 bottles of liquor, were seized during the operation.According to the Singapore Customs, the total duty and Goods and Services Tax evaded amounted to about $19,791.
A man who vented his anger on his baby nephew by abusing him over three months and recording the acts with his phone was sentenced to 14 years’ jail on May 20.The man, 32, who cannot be named due to a gag order, had in April pleaded guilty to eight counts of ill-treatment of a child.The offender was also ordered to pay $4,000 in compensation to the victim’s parents.In meting out the sentence, District Judge Koo Zhi Xuan called the offender’s acts on his nephew exceptionally cruel and sadistic.Doctors also said the abuse had likely contributed to the boy’s developmental delays, noted the judge.District Judge Koo added that it was deeply distressing to read of the acts, but what was truly harrowing in the case was that the offender recorded the abuse while the baby was crying in agony.The court heard the man was fuelled by his visceral hatred for his wife’s younger brother and wanted to abuse his son.He would watch the videos he took of the abuse whenever he was angry with his brother-in-law. Court documents did not state the reason for his anger.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) firm OpenAI has linked up with Singapore on a new initiative called «OpenAI for Singapore» to support the national AI agenda.The creator of ChatGPT said they will invest over $300 million as part of the collaboration to drive applied AI innovation, grow AI talent, and make AI accessible to Singaporeans, businesses and the public sector.The memorandum of understanding was signed between the Ministry of Digital Development and Information (MDDI) and OpenAI on Wednesday (May 20).Announcing the OpenAI Singapore Applied AI Lab at the ATxSummit 2026, the firm's Chief Revenue Officer Denise Dresser said the laboratory is its first outside of the US and is looking to fill more than 200 specialist roles focusing on the development of frontier AI.Frontier AI refers to the most recent and highly advanced AI systems available.OpenAI said in a statement that the Applied AI Lab teams will work with organisations on «production-grade AI systems for complex workflows where the answer is not obvious upfront».
11 people were taken to hospital after an accident involving nine motorcycles and a car along the Ayer Rajah Expressway towards the Marina Coastal Expressway on Tuesday (May 19) morning.In response to AsiaOne's queries, the police and Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to the accident at about 6.30am.Two people were taken by SCDF to the National University Hospital and another nine to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital.According to the police, those injured comprised nine male motorcyclists aged between 26 and 61, a 21-year-old man, and a 32-year-old female pillion rider.All 11 were conscious when taken to hospital.Police investigations are ongoing.[[nid:735687]]eriko.lim@asiaone.com
A police report has been made after an image of a woman allegedly placing a baby on an HDB ledge was posted online, sparking concerns over the child's safety.In a Facebook post shared on Tuesday (May 19), the woman, who was believed by some to be a domestic helper, was seen holding the baby with one of the child's legs dangling dangerously outside the ledge. The incident is believed to have occurred at Block 468C Admiralty Drive.According to the poster, the image was originally shared by a helper in a separate domestic helpers' group, purportedly to warn others about the dangers of such behaviour. The poster added that they shared the image publicly in the hope that someone who knows the helper could alert her to the risks involved.Investigations ongoingResponding to queries from AsiaOne, the police confirmed that a report has been lodged and investigations are ongoing.Under the comments section, several netizens criticised the woman's actions and expressed concern over the child's safety.
A couple in their sixties was trapped after a fire broke out at a HDB flat in Hougang on May 19 morning. In response to AsiaOne's queries, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted at about 1.30am to a fire at Block 238 Hougang Avenue 1. The fire involved contents of a bedroom in a 12th-floor unit and was extinguished using a water jet, said SCDF. Four people from the affected block were evacuated before SCDF arrived and two people were taken to Singapore General Hospital.The cause of the fire is under investigation. Elderly couple lived in unit for over 40 yearsSitu Xinri (transliteration), a 75-year-old resident who lives on the fourth floor, told Shin Min Daily News the couple have been living in that unit for more than 40 years.They were originally a family of four but their daughter moved out after getting married and their son was not at home when the incident occurred. Lin (transliteration), a 59-year-old taxi driver, told the Chinese daily that he was returning home from work when he saw smoke emitting from the opposite block.
While a 21-year-old woman was successfully rescued from the car, officials say a 24-year-old woman is presumed to have drowned after the car went into the river along Schubert Drive on Sunday.
China is Russia’s most powerful strategic partner, cooperating on AI, logistics, and infrastructure, Kremlin envoy Kirill Dmitriev has said Read Full Article at RT.com
The Pentagon reportedly plans to “significantly scale down” the size of American forces Europe could rely on during a conflict Read Full Article at RT.com
The US Senate has advanced a resolution to curb President Donald Trump’s authority to continue military operations against Iran Read Full Article at RT.com
Russia and China have deepened economic cooperation while promoting a more multipolar global order Read Full Article at RT.com
Those warnings, along with severe thunderstorm warnings, have since been lifted across southwestern Ontario, and it remains to be seen whether a tornado actually touched down.
A brother and sister have filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against Peel Regional Police, claiming their parents, killed in a mistaken identity shooting , would still be alive if police had warned the family there might be an «imminent» threat to their safety.
Parallel briefings by the two men offer a view of their contrasting styles.
All but two playoff games have been decided by just one goal this spring, a sign of the league's parity.
A building housing apartments and Iqaluit’s only Inuktitut daycare has lead in the hot water. Some residents say the water issues have been going on for years.
Henry Leland lived on the streets of Kamloops, B.C., for many years, and even had a supportive housing building named after him posthumously in 2009.
Environment Canada's red band tornado warning over the London, Ont., area has been lifted. A yellow warning for a severe thunderstorm remains in place. Meanwhile, tornado warnings have been issued for communities east of the area as the storm continues.
Croatian President Zoran Milanovic has refused to approve Israel’s proposed envoy to Zagreb, citing disagreements with West Jerusalem Read Full Article at RT.com
Kentucky’s Republican primary is a showdown between Thomas Massie and the entire weight of the Trump-backed pro-Israel establishment Read Full Article at RT.com
Brussels should strip fighting-age Ukrainians of protection to avoid sending “controversial” signals to Kiev, an EU special envoy has said Read Full Article at RT.com
La République de Guinée-Bissau a réaffirmé, mardi à Rabat, sa position constante en faveur de l'intégrité territoriale du Royaume du Maroc et de sa souveraineté sur l'ensemble de son territoire, y compris la région du Sahara. Cette position a été exprimée par le ministre bissau-guinéen des Affaires étrangères, de la Coopération internationale et des Communautés, João Bernardo Vieira, à l'issue de ses entretiens avec le ministre marocain des Affaires étrangères, de la Coopération africaine (...) - COOPERATION / SUJET_ECRIT_MAISON
Rabat accueille, ce mercredi, la deuxième Conférence ministérielle sur le maintien de la paix en environnement francophone, un rendez-vous diplomatique d'envergure consacré aux défis croissants des opérations de paix des Nations Unies dans un contexte international marqué par la multiplication des crises sécuritaires et des menaces transnationales. Cette rencontre de haut niveau est coprésidée par le ministre marocain des Affaires étrangères, de la Coopération africaine et des Marocains (...) - INTERNATIONAL / SUJET_ECRIT_MAISON