Elderly scam victim loses $500k claim against UOB after High Court finds she concealed evidence
newsare.net
SINGAPORE — An elderly scam victim’s $500,000 claim against UOB has been thrown out by the High Court after the court found that she had deliberately concealed evidence that was unfavourable to her.Assistant Registrar (AR) Ramu Miyapan said the woman’sElderly scam victim loses $500k claim against UOB after High Court finds she concealed evidence
SINGAPORE — An elderly scam victim’s $500,000 claim against UOB has been thrown out by the High Court after the court found that she had deliberately concealed evidence that was unfavourable to her.Assistant Registrar (AR) Ramu Miyapan said the woman’s conduct amounted to an abuse of the court process, as she had presented a version of events that was materially different from what she had stated in a police report.The court struck out the claim even though the assistant registrar acknowledged that the claimant was an elderly woman who did not speak English and had already lost a significant amount of money in what appeared to be a scam.In grounds of decision released on Aug 18, AR Ramu said the case was not about whether the woman’s underlying claim against UOB had merit, but about her conduct in the court proceedings.The claimant, Lao Iok Sim, also known as Liu Yuchan, opened a UOB savings account at the bank’s People’s Park Complex branch on June 9, 2022, and applied for personal internet banking that same day. Read more












