A 26-year-old man was arrested on Monday (Aug 17) for his alleged involvement in a case of loanshark harassment in Sembawang.Police said in a news release on Tuesday that they were alerted to case of loanshark harassment at a residential unit along Sembawang Drive at about 8.45pm on Sunday, where the gate of the unit was affixed with a bicycle lock.Officers from Woodlands Police Division identified the man through follow-up investigations and with the aid of images from police cameras. The police arrested him on the next day. Preliminary investigations revealed that the man is believed to be involved in another case of loanshark harassment at a residential unit along Jurong East Street 13. The man will be charged in court on Wednesday under the Moneylenders Act. If found guilty, the man could be fined between $5,000 and $50,000, jailed for up to five years, and receive up to six strokes of the cane.The police reiterated that they have zero tolerance for loanshark harassment activities.
Singapore's regulatory framework requires construction and demolition (C&D) waste to be properly processed and sorted for recycling, and such waste is not allowed to be exported for disposal, said the National Environment Agency (NEA).The agency was responding to a query from AsiaOne on Tuesday (Aug 18), following Malaysia media reports that Singapore agreed to immediately halt the export of C&D waste to Malaysia during a phone call with Johor Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Corporation (SWCorp Johor) director Zainal Fitri Ahmad on Monday.But Singapore did reaffirm during the call that it does not allow C&D waste to be exported for disposal, NEA said.It added that only homogeneous material streams such as ferrous scrap, recovered from C&D waste, are considered recyclables that can be exported, subject to the relevant regulatory requirements being met.Singapore trucks dumping wasteOver the past week, several media outlets, citing Johor officials, had reported that trucks originating from Singapore were believed to have dumped construction scraps in Johor.
Three male individuals, aged between 15 and 21, were arrested on Monday (Aug 18) for their alleged involvement in a case of motorcycle theft in Tampines.Police said in a news release on Tuesday night that they were alerted to the case at about 10pm on Sunday at a carpark along Tampines Street 83.Officers from Bedok Police Division and the Police Operations Command Centre established the identities of the trio through follow-up investigations and ground enquiries, arresting them within 15 hours of the report being made.The stolen motorcycle was also recovered.Both the 21-year-old man and a 19-year-old teenager will be charged in court on Wednesday with the offence of theft of a motor vehicle with common intent.If found guilty of the said offence, they could be jailed for up to seven years and fined.Police investigations into the 15-year-old teenager are ongoing.[[nid:742775]]editor@asiaone.com
President Donald Trump on Tuesday repeated his long-standing falsehoods about a rigged 2020 election.
The Florida Republican lost to Ryan Elijah after facing allegations of sexual misconduct and domestic abuse, on top of campaign finance violations.
US congressional lawyers are struggling with a growing flood of error-ridden legislation drafted using AI tools Read Full Article at RT.com
Ukraine’s former defense minister Mikhail Fedorov has called on the authorities to lift the wartime ban on elections Read Full Article at RT.com
Michelle Zan was only seven when she first picked up the racket and shuttlecock, beginning her journey as a badminton player.Her efforts led her to become a national athlete, representing Singapore in countries across Asia and beyond.Despite the glory that comes with representing our country, she hung up the racket last year.«There were many highs and lows during my entire sporting journey that really shaped who I am today,» the 19-year-old told AsiaOne on Tuesday (Aug 18).«I wouldn't say that I had any expectation for fame or glory... I was there purely because I enjoyed playing the sport.»Now, Zan has set her sights on something completely different.On Tuesday, Zan received the Singapore Government Scholarship at the Ministry of Home Affairs' (MHA) scholarship award ceremony, with hopes to pursue a career in the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB).«There are many fundamental differences between my role as a sporting athlete and as someone in the public service,» she told us.
A netizen advocating for the wellbeing of guide dogs during the National Day Parade fireworks display said she was verbally harassed online.The Facebook user, Kay Lin, posted on Complaint Singapore Unrestricted on Monday (Aug 17) about how a man allegedly sent her a private message and called her a «f***ing slut».She alleged that the man was also a member of the Dogs Singapore Facebook group and that the message was sent in response to her advocacy regarding the welfare of guide dogs participating in this year's National Day Parade.A screenshot shared by Kay Lin appeared to show a message containing insults directed at her, including calling her a «waste of oxygen».«No wonder no guy want you. F***ing slut like you should just end your life,» the message stated.Kay Lin responded to the man's message in a Facebook post, outlining what she described as the potential effects of loud fireworks on guide dogs.«Just [because] guide dogs look calm, [it] doesn’t mean they aren’t suffering in silence [during] fireworks,» she wrote.
A man has come up with an unconventional way to deal with passengers who play music or videos loudly on public transport — he offers them free earphones.In a video shared on TikTok on Friday (Aug 14), Josh Goh is seen approaching a female bus passenger who can be heard playing a video on her phone. He then offered the woman a pair of earphones. While Goh tried to persuade her by telling her the earphones were free and brand new, she did not accept them.He took the rejection in stride, jesting that she may have turned down the earphones because they were not wireless ones.The volume on her phone, however, did die down after the exchange.Free earphonesSpeaking to 8world on Tuesday, Goh shared that the incident took place last Sunday.
The family of a Chinese construction worker who died after becoming seriously ill while working in Luganville is appealing for the return of his mobile phone and assistance with funeral expenses from his former employer.
The Court of Appeal (COA) has overturned a VT7.5 million compensation order arising from a vehicle collision near Parliament, finding that the amount awarded by the Supreme Court was not properly supported by evidence.
The Utilities Regulatory Authority (URA) has rejected allegations of improper conduct and regulatory interference raised by Opposition Leader Ishmael Kalsakau, saying Safety Order No. 02 of 2026 was lawfully issued to a customer following safety concerns over electricity being exported…
The TAFEA Provincial Government Council (TPGC) has estimated that it will cost VT2 billion to expand Tanna Airport to accommodate larger aircraft under its newly launched four-year economic plan.
Vanuatu is considering raising the minimum age for workers entering Australia and New Zealand’s seasonal labour mobility programmes from 21 to 25, a move the Commissioner of Labour (COL), James Willie, says would give young people more time to remain…
The Supreme Court has instructed the Union government to look into the baffling case of Capt Ashish Kumar's disappearance. His wife presented a petition with ransom calls and WhatsApp messages hinting at his possible survival. After DNA tests disproved his presumed death following a ship attack, the court is now requesting a status report on the efforts to locate him from the Solicitor General by Monday.
The National Testing Agency is undergoing a significant overhaul by replacing existing experts with specialized newcomers. To ensure quality, a rigorous four-tier reviewing system will be introduced to meticulously evaluate every examination paper. This reform comes on the heels of notable mistakes discovered in recent assessments. Additionally, the agency is welcoming fresh personnel and relocating its offices while implementing enhanced security measures and a thorough audit process.
Riley English of Massachusetts turned herself in after arriving at the Capitol with miniature molotov cocktails just before Scott Bessent’s Senate confirmation.
David M. Morens, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud the United States, said he was trying to protect his boss. Fauci was not accused of wrongdoing in the case.
A Trump administration task force on antisemitism pressured universities into punitive settlements despite turning up little to no evidence of systemic abuses, according to a former Justice Department attorney.
The decision was made after the country’s air defense systems identified the launch of two ballistic missiles from Iran
Garry Minkh says the current situation demands a prompt response rather than long-term strategic planning
Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Mohsen Rezaei invited all interested parties to create a new cooperation framework in the region «that will succeed the US hegemony in the Persian Gulf zone»
Roscosmos CEO Dmitry Bakanov says the sides have about a year and a half in reserve for negotiations
The measure was introduced for two weeks
In a significant move, the Goa government has approached the Supreme Court, requesting a harsher sentence for Tarun Tejpal in a sexual assault case. The state argues that his current penalty is insufficient given the severity of the crime. They emphasize that Tejpal exploited his position of power, suggesting that time should not lessen the consequences for such an offense.
The BJP has designated Vinod Tawde as its new state in-charge for Uttar Pradesh, while Satish Poonia takes the helm in Punjab. Additionally, Tarun Chugh has been entrusted with managing Gujarat's party affairs. These strategic appointments are pivotal as the BJP gears up for the imminent state elections, ensuring that influential leaders are aligned for key electoral battles.
Recently, US President Donald Trump commended India’s voter ID system after a meeting between Indian election official Gyanesh Kumar and US Ambassador Sergio Gor. Kumar detailed the extensive issuance of photo identity cards and impressive voter turnout in India. He emphasized that the rigorous examination of elections by political parties contributes to high public trust in the electoral process.
Des ralentissements à Arue ce mardi matin. Une voiture s’est retournée dans le sens Arue-Mahina, devant un fast-food. Selon la police municipale, la conductrice, éblouie par le soleil, aurait perdu le contrôle de son véhicule. Aucun blessé n’est à déplorer.