U.S. pension funds that delayed rebalancing their portfolios are likely to pump about US$400 billion into stocks over the next two quarters, analysts at JP Morgan said, providing a potential boost to equity markets battered by the coronavirus pandemic.
SINGAPORE - Singapore confirmed 47 new cases of the Covid-19 infection on Tuesday (March 31), including a housekeeper at Changi General Hospital (CGH). A new cluster has also emerged at the Westlite Toh Guan dormitory, with four new cases confirmed on Tuesday. The first was confirmed on Monday. Of the new cases, 31 were local, with 13 linked to existing clusters or individuals. Another 18 are unlinked. On the CGH housekeeper who was infected, the Ministry of Health said he is a 22-year-old male Indian national who is a long-term pass holder with no recent travel history. He reported onset of symptoms on March 29, and subsequent test results confirmed the Covid-19 infection on Monday afternoon. He is currently warded in an isolation room at Changi General Hospital (CGH). Prior to hospital admission, he had gone to work for about two hours on Monday. Meanwhile, the MOH said that 12 more cases of Covid-19 infection have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities. In all, 240 have fully recovered from the infection and have been discharged.
Before the coronavirus outbreak, working from home was considered a luxury. «Wah, your company lets you work from home (WFH) twice or thrice a week? Shiok!», was the most common response I got from friends who knew it was a common practice in my previous two jobs. Now, WFH is the new norm as more and more companies start practising telecommuting in the interest of safe distancing. This includes us at AsiaOne since the start of last week. While I've been enjoying every bit of it, my husband, who has been working from home for close to three weeks now, is starting to feel the toll of being cooped up at home all the time. ALSO READ: Working from home not so great, employees in China find
SINGAPORE - The Singapore Armed Forces will conduct training in smaller groups and defer all in-camp training that is not essential for operations for at least a month, said the Ministry of Defence on Tuesday (March 31). Fitness-conditioning centres, where operationally-ready national servicemen (NSmen) take their physical fitness tests, will be closed. Individual Physical Proficiency Training (IPPT), IPPT Preparatory Training (IPT), and remedial training at Fitness Conditioning Centres, Safra gyms and IPT-in-the-Park locations has been suspended. IPPT requirements for affected NSmen will be waived, said Mindef in a statement on the latest SAF measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus. The ministry noted that critical operations to safeguard Singapore - such as island defence, protection of key installations, maritime security and air defence operations - continue to be performed around the clock. Units performing these roles have been separated into different groups to ensure operations are not interrupted while in-camp training supporting these critical functions will continue, it said.
In the wake of Malaysia's partial lockdown that's left some families stuck on different sides of the Causeway, one elderly woman was so determined to see her sick husband that she made the trip on foot — knee pain and all. The woman, 66, decided to return to Singapore on March 29 after learning of her husband's condition, her son Herman Sudil shared in a Facebook post. While Malaysia's movement control order (MCO) prohibits citizens from leaving the country from March 18 to April 14, foreigners are allowed to leave. His mother had arrived in Johor Bahru before the MCO to care for his three-month-old baby while he looked after his hospitalised wife, Herman explained. When his mother received news that her 80-year-old husband was ill early last week, Herman immediately began searching for transport for her to return to Singapore. But the lack of public transport meant that she eventually had to do it on foot.
Chinatown Food Street, a popular tourist spot known for local roadside fare, will close from tomorrow, its management said in a post on its website yesterday. There will be upgrading works in the area and business will resume on June 1. Business at the once-bustling destination on Smith Street has taken a significant hit with the sharp fall in tourist numbers since travel restrictions were imposed amid the Covid-19 outbreak. In an interview with Chinese language evening paper Shin Min Daily News, Mr Vincent Tan, the managing director of Select Group, which operates Chinatown Food Street, said that aside from renovation and refurbishment works to the 20 stalls at the location, stall holders and their workers will be sent for training or reassigned to other restaurants. Mr Tan, who is also the president of the Restaurant Association of Singapore, told Shin Min that rent for the stalls during the closure will be waived. Efforts to boost visitor numbers seem to have had little success.
[UPDATED, March 31]: In an update to her Facebook post on Tuesday afternoon (March 31), Eeling J. Tan wrote that her daughter has tested negative for Covid-19. Every parent's worst nightmare came true for Singaporean Eeling J. Tan when her sick five-year-old daughter was made to undergo a Covid-19 swab test. In a post dated March 29, the 41-year-old director at an engineering consultancy detailed her experience after her daughter suddenly developed a fever, having been diagnosed with bronchitis and asthma more than a week ago. She wrote: «My daughter started coughing about a week and half ago. We took her to a PHPC [Public Health Preparedness Clinic], and she was diagnosed with bronchitis and asthma. She was put on an inhaler and a cocktail of medication. She was on the mend until last night when she developed a fever.» The worried parents took her to the clinic once again on March 29, where doctors found that her lungs had not cleared, and coupled with a fever, they decided to send her for a Covid-19 test.
Residents of China's Wuhan city, ground zero for the coronavirus pandemic, have mixed emotions as containment measures are lifted and the community infection rate slows to a trickle, with some praising the government and others rueing the economic costs.
The longstanding stereotype of Japan's office-bound "salaryman" is being tested as companies cautiously embrace working from home in a bid to stem the spread of the coronavirus.
Australia captain Tim Paine believes test cricketers would be prepared to play a lot of matches in a short space of time once the coronavirus crisis is over to ensure the World Test Championship can be completed as scheduled next year.
Global mergers and acquisitions activity plunged 28per cent in the first quarter to its lowest level since 2016 as the devastating economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic took hold in March, compounding a slow start to the year for dealmakers.
WPP , the world's biggest advertising company, said it was pulling its dividend and share buyback, and withdrawing its guidance for 2020 after it saw an increasing number of cancelations from clients due to the coronavirus crisis.
«For better, for worse, with stroke and in Covid-19, until death do us part.» One elderly couple have showed us that love transcends age and boundaries. Even in the time of the coronavirus and being engaged in a long-distance relationship, their commitment to each other stands strong. The pair - Liong May Swan, a Singapore Citizen and Tom Iljas, a Swedish National - held their solemnisation ceremony on March 28, 2020. Except that… things did not pan out according to what they had initially planned: A restaurant ceremony. With social distancing and precautionary measures implemented due to Covid-19, Tom and May had to give up on their «dream wedding». They cancelled the ceremony scheduled at Dempsey Hill and decided to hold a family event at home instead. Unfortunately, even that reality did not materialise for the pair, who intended to move to Sweden to spend the rest of their lives together after registering their marriage on March 28, 2020.
SINGAPORE - Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) will be suspended at most locations from April 6, with remaining spots seeing rates slashed. All gantries in the city and several on arterial roads will see zero charge. In the light of the Covid-19 pandemic, which has seen less commuting, Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said on Tuesday (March 31) that he has asked the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to bring forward the usual quarterly review of ERP rates. Hence, zero charging will take effect at several gantries during most time slots from next Monday. For instance, travelling southbound on the Central Expressway before Braddell Road towards the city will be free, down from between $1 and $2 now. The Pan-Island Expressway between Adam Road and Mount Pleasant Road will likewise have zero charging, from between $1 and $2 now. In total, 74 out of 77 gantries will see a reduction of up to $2. The LTA said the reductions are not to encourage people to drive more. It added that motorists and commuters should still defer all non-essential travel.
A 25-year-old lorry driver and his two female passengers, aged 26 and 31, were arrested for suspected drug-related offences after leading police on a car chase in Jurong West on Saturday (Mar 28). The man was also arrested for rash act causing hurt. Several Stompers alerted Stomp to videos of the incident, showing the lorry beating a red light and narrowly avoiding a motorcyclist while being pursued by a police car. In one of the clips, a man is seen in handcuffs as officers search the lorry. In response to a Stomp query, the police said they conducted checks on the lorry driver and his passengers at a heavy vehicle carpark along Boon Lay Way at 3.50pm. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=220963549112220 «During the checks, the driver refused to comply with the officer's instruction and sped off with his passengers,» a police spokesman said.
South Korea said on Tuesday it will open school classes online next week and reschedule its annual college entrance exams slated for November as concerns persist over the coronavirus and small outbreaks continue to emerge.
New York food banks have become inundated with newcomers deprived of income since the near-total halt of business in the United States' economic capital.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) expects increasing job losses and fewer pay rises this year as the economy heads into its worst recession on record. The central bank said the job market will worsen amid a sharp drop in both economic activity and demand for goods and services at home and abroad. «The resident unemployment rate is expected to rise and wage growth ease,» MAS said in its monetary policy statement yesterday. «A degree of labour market slack could emerge as firms pull back on their hiring plans, even as the scale of retrenchments is mitigated by the Jobs Support Scheme,» it said. MAS noted the «economy will enter a recession», and will shrink by 1 per cent to 4 per cent this year. In the fourth quarter of last year, the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate had risen to 2.3 per cent, up from 2.1 per cent in the last three months of 2018. Unemployment among Singaporean citizens was even higher at 3.3 per cent, up from 3 per cent in the same quarter of 2018. Retrenchments had also crept up in the fourth quarter of last year to 2,700 persons, compared with 2,470 in the third quarter of 2019.
Getting their hands on a coveted thermometer may be enough for some to be feverish with excitement but a woman in Singapore was left boiling after the thermometer she bought appeared to be less than new. Home goods chain Japan Home said on March 30 that it has launched an internal investigation after a customer claimed that she was sold a «used» thermometer with someone else's name written on it. The customer aired her complaints in a Facebook post on March 29, calling on other members of the public to be vigilant when purchasing thermometers from the chain. She also included several photographs which showed a digital thermometer with a name written on its back, as well as scribblings which appeared to say «3J» and «33».
MyRepublic has a new SIM-only plan for customers that comes with 7GB of data, 1,000 minutes of talk time, and 1,000 free incoming calls, that costs $18 a month. Dubbed the Value plan, after the 7GB of data is fully utilised, subscribers still have access to data but speeds will be throttled under fair usage policy guidelines. They will not be charged for excess data use. According to MyRepublic, after the 7GB of data is exhausted, users will see their data speeds throttled to between 384Kbps to 1.2Mbps until the data allowance refreshes the next billing cycle. If you need full LTE speeds, additional data can be purchased through the telco as a one-off or monthly add-on. For users who need more data, the Power mobile plan launched in November last year offers users 20GB of data per month for $24. For more information, head over to our forum thread on this topic that comes with our members' inputs. This article was first published in Hardware Zone.
UEFA will discuss the fate of this season's Champions League and its other competitions that have been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic in a video conference meeting on Wednesday, European soccer's governing body said in a statement.
SINGAPORE - The Ministry of Health (MOH) announced 35 new Covid-19 cases in Singapore on Monday (March 30), including three new clusters. The three new clusters are the S11 Dormitory@Punggol on 2 Seletar North Link, the condominium Wilby Residences at 25 Wilby Road and the nightspot Hero's on 69 Circular Road. The dormitory is linked to four cases, the condominium seven cases and the nightspot five cases. In total, 26 of the 35 cases on Monday were local cases with no recent travel history abroad. There were nine imported cases. There are now 879 cases in Singapore. A further 16 cases have now been discharged from hospitals and community isolation facilities. To date, 228 cases have fully recovered. Of the 420 still in hospital, 19 are in critical condition. Currently, 228 cases who are well but still test positive are isolated at Concord International Hospital, Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital and the community isolation facility at D'Resort NTUC.
SINGAPORE - At 8pm on Monday night (March 30), applause rang out across the rooftops of Singapore. The ovation was part of Clap For #SGUnited, a campaign to get the public to show their appreciation for those on the frontlines of the fight against the coronavirus pandemic. Whether from their windows, doors or balconies, people clapped, cheered, sang Ole and even banged saucepans. The call was started over the weekend by British expatriate Martin Verga, who works in finance and has lived in Singapore for 10 years. He was inspired by #ClapforNHS, which saw millions of Britons applauding National Health Service staff last Thursday, and wanted to do the same for workers here. «For the doctors, nurses, carers, emergency services, delivery workers, warehouse workers, cleaners, supermarket staff and everyone else keeping Singapore safe and stocked at this time,» he wrote on Facebook. «We will be forever grateful.»
Facebook Inc on Monday pledged US$100 million in financing and advertising spending to support news organizations, including local publishers in the United States, reeling from pressure due to the coronavirus pandemic.
One Singaporean student's thirst for adventure almost saw him left high and dry, with no way home when Slovenia closed its borders amid the coronavirus pandemic. Nazrul Syahmi was stranded in Slovenia for 12 days following an air traffic ban and public transport shutdown. He finally made it back to Singapore with the help of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and several foreign diplomats, Member of Parliament (MP) Amrin Amin said in a Facebook post today (March 30). The rescue was «like a movie» and involved British diplomats sending a convoy to escort Nazrul, ex-Nominated Member of Parliament Calvin Cheng added in a separate Facebook post.
We scour the island for the best deals in the time of Covid-19 to help you stretch your dollar and keep you in the loop on the hottest trends. 'Cos good things must share. $16.90 Xiaomi automatic soap dispenser By now, washing your hands regularly should become a habit to keep the coronavirus at bay. To make things more convenient, the Mijia Automatic Soap Dispenser by Xiaomi dispenses soap without needing to touch it, reducing the risk of being in contact with any germs. The soap dispenser is now going for only $16.90 (U.P. $22.90) on Qoo10, plus it comes with one free mask per purchase. It'll also come with the original Xiaomi antibacterial liquid soap and batteries, and each bottle will dispense soap up to 400 times.
SINGAPORE - The PAP Community Foundation (PCF), which operates 360 Sparkletots pre-schools here, has reopened all its schools except the Fengshan centre - it will remain closed till April 7. The Fengshan centre, which was closed on March 24, has the second largest Covid-19 cluster, with at least 26 confirmed cases. Only Safra Jurong has more confirmed cases. All Sparkletots pre-schools were shut for four days from March 26 to allow for a thorough cleaning of premises and frequently touched surfaces, including toys, sleeping cots and shared learning resources. Minister for Social and Family Development Desmond Lee said that the country's largest pre-school operator has reviewed its standard operating procedures and guidelines with its staff. This included refresher training on health, hygiene, and safety practices for all staff. In a March 29 letter to parents, PCF’s chief executive Victor Bay apologised for closing all the centres on short notice, explaining that it was necessary to safeguard the health and well-being of the children and staff.