Since works began yesterday (Nov 29) to connect the East-West Line (EWL) to the new East Coast Integrated Depot (ECID), 880 staff from the Land Transport Authority (LTA), rail operator SMRT and contractors have been working round-the-clock The entire 4.8km-long work area - stretching from Bedok North Road in the vicinity of Bedok Stadium to Upper Changi Road near ITE College East - comprises 12 work locations.During the 10-day operation - till Dec 8 - workers will have to remove the existing track, including trackside components and equipment, before connecting the EWL to the new ECID. This is expected to take around five days to complete. Prior to the resumption of passenger service, tests will also have to be carried out to ensure safety.
A 73-year-old Malaysian woman was arrested on Nov 24 for her alleged involvement in at least three cases of government official impersonation scam (GOIS).She is the seventh Malaysian to be arrested this month for this scam variant involving the impersonation of government officials purportedly from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) or Ministry of Law.In a statement on Nov 30, the police said they received reports involving scammers posing as officials purportedly from MAS between Oct 8 and Nov 24.Modus operandi: Account, identity compromisedBased on the police's preliminary investigations, the woman had allegedly been facilitating the operations of a scam syndicate by collecting cash and gold bars from victims of the impersonation scams.Victims were either told that their bank accounts were linked to money laundering activities or that their personal information had been compromised.They were then told to meet with unknown individuals at various locations across Singapore to hand over cash and gold bars for purpose of investigation.
The Singapore Armed Forces' Basic Military Training Centre (BMTC) has said in a statement that recruits are not barred from patronising the McDonald's outlet at White Sands mall, contrary to alleged rumours circulating online.Pasir Ris is the shuttle pick-up point for all full-time national servicemen undergoing basic military training at Pulau Tekong, with White Sands being the closest shopping centre.In a clarification posted to Facebook on Saturday (Nov 29), it stated: «We wish to clarify that recruits are free to spend their personal time as they wish when they book-out, and they are expected to maintain good conduct at all times. There are no restrictions imposed by BMTC.»[embed]https://www.facebook.com/100064854484179/posts/1259091756262629/?mibextid=wwXIfr&rdid=rXapy2O1ZmwH4OE4#[/embed]Netizen alleged McDonald's 'ban' in video commentThe claim had reportedly arisen following a TikTok video posted on Nov 26 by entrepreneur and content creator Nison Chan.
When a 48-year-old man suffered a stroke and lost his mental capacity, his former wife and elder sister fought to be appointed as his sole deputy.After a legal tussle lasting almost two years, the Family Court granted his sister’s application in June, noting that she had shown consistency in care and concern for him.In a judgment made available on Nov 14, District Judge Jason Gabriel Chiang explained his decision, against which the former wife had appealed.Court documents described the man as a Singaporean businessman involved in automobile care and works. He is now about 50 years old.His sister and only sibling is five years older than him; his former wife is a 42-year-old maths tutor.The couple, who divorced in 2018, have two sons aged 15 and 13. The woman had a third son with another man before the divorce was finalised.They had split as the man had alleged they had many disagreements and quarrels, and suggested that she had had an extramarital affair.Despite their separation, the two had a cordial relationship and frequently communicated regarding their sons.
At 17, Jemina (not her real name) packed her bags and left home.After her father died and her mother remarried, the house no longer felt safe to her. There was often no food at home for her after school or during holidays, and she would stay in her room.She moved into her junior college's hostel, but left a few months before her A-level exams because her lease ran out after she repeated one year. By then, her mother and stepfather had made it clear to her that they did not want her back home after some conflict, she told The Straits Times.Her nights were then spent in friends' homes or in public areas.The then teenager would carry her luggage with her during the day, spend time at playgrounds at night, or pull all-nighters at 24-hour fast-food chains.When she turned 20 and was accepted into a university, she moved into a student dormitory. But due to eyesight issues and mental health concerns, she decided to withdraw from school to focus on recovery.Jemina, who is now living with a family who opened their home to her, struggles to share her vulnerable past with anyone her age.
Repeated instances of high rise littering have been reported at a HDB estate in Chua Chu Kang and will not be tolerated, said Chua Chu Kang GRC MP Jeffrey Siow.Siow made a Facebook post on Friday (Nov 28) notifying residents of a recent incident at Blk 802A Keat Hong Close where glass and ceramic items were thrown downstairs.Photos of the incident site were also attached, showing areas of a void deck being cordoned off by safety tape.Notices were also posted in the lift lobby, including one from the National Environment Agency (NEA) that detailed the penalties perpetrators will face if convicted of high rise littering.Screenshots of recent incidents were also appended in the notice.«It is not the first time that it has happened,» said Siow, adding that the Singapore Police Force, NEA and the Chua Chu Kang Town Council have been looped in to take immediate action.Surveillance cameras to identify the perpetrator have already been deployed by the NEA, Siow said, appealing to residents with any information on the culprit to inform the authorities.
While train journeys are being disrupted by works on the East-West Line, commuters are heartened by the adequate signage and helpful staff providing assistance.Construction works on the East-West Line began on Saturday (Nov 29) morning, and will continue to Dec 8, as previously announced by SMRT. Stations between Bedok and Tampines, as well as between Tanah Merah and Expo stations will be affected by the construction.To help commuters during the service adjustment period, SMRT will be providing shuttle buses and operating shuttle trains between several MRT stations.Speaking to AsiaOne at Bedok MRT station on the first day of the train disruptions, a commuter Lim Han Siong said that there has been ample signages.
A Malaysian man was convicted of four charges including cheating for sex and extortion on Thursday (Nov 27).According to CNA, Rajwant Singh Gill Narajan Singh, 38, had lured women from Singapore to Malaysia pretending to be a white sugar daddy and had extorted one of his victims of more than US$140,970 (S$183,000).The prosecution sought for 13 years' jail and 15 strokes of the cane for the «horrific and perverse» acts committed by Singh.Deputy Public Prosecutor Jeremy Bin said that, if the crimes had occurred in Singapore, he could have been charged with rape instead, and called Singh «effectively a serial rapist» who forced his victims to do acts that were «utterly debasing» and «disgusting».Singh was arrested in a joint covert operation by the Singapore Police Force and Royal Malaysian Police Force and charged in Singapore.The then-unemployed man, who lived with his wife and children, gave detailed confessions, claiming remorse and saying he needed the money for his family.However, in court, he was unrepresented and pleaded not guilty, saying he had engaged in the sexual acts but was not the «sugar daddy» in question.
A family is appealing for witnesses after a 35-year-old man sustained severe head injuries during an accident while riding his personal mobility device (PMD) at Punggol.Marcus Lee, the older brother of the injured PMD rider, made a Facebook post on Thursday (Nov 27) calling for witnesses with any information on the incident.His brother had been on his way home from Punggol Marina to Punggol Field, and was found unconscious on the road side at around 1 to 2am that day.His brother had reportedly gone to meet some friends at a club before returning home, Lee told 8world.Lee attached two photos in his post, with one showing his brother hospitalised in critical condition.He requires intensive medical care after suffering very severe head injuries during the accident, said Lee, who added that his brother is currently in a coma and on life support.«The doctor told us to prepare for the worst,» Lee told 8world.With his brother in critical condition, Lee and his family are still unable to find out what happened and if other parties were involved.
15 drivers have recently been caught providing illegal cross-border ride hailing services by the Land Transport Authority (LTA).The agency announced the news in a Facebook post on Friday (Nov 28) that they had nabbed the drivers «at the land checkpoints, airport, and in areas such as Arab Street and Ban San Street» and that all of their vehicles had been impounded.This had come as a result of enforcement efforts by the LTA and tip-offs from the National Private Hire Vehicles Association and National Taxi Association.The LTA warned: «Drivers caught providing illegal ride-hailing services face up to $3,000 fines and/or 6 months’ jail, and possible vehicle forfeiture.»
SINGAPORE — About $41,000 worth of illegal cough syrup and prescription medicine were seized by the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) in two separate operations in November.HSA raided two addresses in Yishun on Nov 17 and seized 106 litres of codeine cough syrup worth about $29,000, following a tip-off by a courier company, the authority said in a release on Nov 28.The company had observed two suspicious crates from overseas at its storage facility, which were labelled as a well-known household bleach brand but were suspected to contain illegal cough syrup. They were due to be delivered to two places in Yishun that were eventually raided.A Singaporean male importer, 43, had arranged the delivery for profit, according to preliminary investigations, said HSA.Separately, a 23-year-old foreigner was caught by Immigration and Checkpoints Authority officers for trying to smuggle about 11,500 units of addictive prescription medicine at Changi Airport Terminal 3 on Nov 19.The medicine, which included sedatives and painkillers, were valued at about $12,000 in street value and were intended for illegal distribution here, said HSA.
SINGAPORE — Sixteen thrill-seekers on the popular Battlestar Galactica: Human vs Cylon attraction at Universal Studios Singapore (USS) had to disembark midway through their roller-coaster ride after it stalled on Nov 28.In response to queries, a spokesperson for Resorts World Sentosa (RWS), which manages USS, said the ride experienced a «temporary technical interruption» at about 5pm.«As part of our strict safety protocols, it automatically stopped at a safe point on the track. Our trained operations team promptly assisted all 16 riders to disembark, in accordance with our standard operating procedures,» the spokesperson said, adding that there were no injuries.RWS added that the ride will resume on Nov 29 when USS opens, following the completion of «a thorough safety check».«The safety of our guests is always our top priority. We regret any inconvenience caused and thank our guests for their patience and understanding,» the spokesperson said.
SINGAPORE — A car driven by a 23-year-old man toppled onto its side next to an HDB block in Bedok after it was believed to have skidded on the morning of Nov 27.In response to queries from The Straits Times, the police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to the accident at around 11am.The incident occurred beside Block 514 Bedok North Avenue 2. Images circulating on social media show the car lying on its left side on a patch of grass near a short flight of stairs leading to the block, with several bystanders gathered around and a person in civilian attire appearing to reach into the car boot.SCDF said two people were assessed for minor injuries, but both declined to be taken to hospital.The car is believed to have skidded, the police said, adding that the driver is assisting with investigations.[[nid:725972]]
SINGAPORE — A 64-year-old man died in hospital after he fell onto the tracks at Fajar LRT station on Nov 19.In response to queries, SMRT Trains president Lam Sheau Kai said that a passenger on a personal mobility device, or PMD, fell onto the tracks at Fajar station on the Bukit Panjang LRT Line at about 9.35pm that day.«Our staff immediately activated the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) for assistance and filed a police report,» said Mr Lam.The man was not struck by any incoming train, as SMRT's operations control centre had promptly switched off traction power, Mr Lam added.SMRT is cooperating with the police in their investigations, he said.The police said they were alerted to the incident at about 9.35pm, and that the man was found lying motionless on the train tracks.The SCDF took the man to the Woodlands Health Campus, where he later died.Based on preliminary investigations, the police said they do not suspect any foul play. Police investigations are ongoing.
Singapore's separation from Malaysia on Aug 9, 1965 — long viewed as abrupt and involuntary, and marked by the late Lee Kuan Yew's iconic and emotional television address — has since been recast as more nuanced in recent years. Following Mr Lee's 1998 memoirs The Singapore Story and former deputy prime minister Goh Keng Swee's 2007 biography, the circumstances surrounding Singapore's independence has gradually been reinterpreted over the years. A string of newly declassified documents, including Cabinet papers and handwritten notes by Dr Goh, known as the Albatross File, are the topic of a permanent exhibition that will open to the public on Dec 8 at the National Library Building. AsiaOne got a first glimpse of the exhibition on Wednesday (Nov 26) and spoke to Executive Creative Director Gene Tan, who shed some light into the process of putting it all together. Centred around the theme of «Feel History», Tan shared that he wanted the exhibition to be akin to an experience — «something that a person takes away».
The Singapore Sports Hub is now officially The Kallang — in a brand refresh which includes plans for a revamped mall with new alfresco food and beverage establishments.The move comes nearly three years after the Government took over ownership and management of the facility from a private consortium.In a media statement on Friday (Nov 28), The Kallang’s operator Kallang Alive Sport Management — which has changed its name to The Kallang Group — said that the brand refresh honours Singapore’s sporting heritage.«It embraces our collective memories while strengthening our belief that sport, entertainment, lifestyle and community form the pillars of a dynamic ecosystem,» it said.Beyond the name change, the group announced that the existing Kallang Wave Mall will undergo a three-year facelift, which they said will «elevate the experience of everyone stepping into The Kallang».These include new alfresco food and beverage establishments, play areas for children and padel courts.The revamp to the mall will start in phases from the second quarter of next year, with its completion slated for 2028, and will remain operational throughout.
Twelve migrant workers were arrested on Thursday (Nov 27) at a Woodlands dormitory for suspected drug-related offences. In a statement on Friday (Nov 28), the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB), which conducted the raid, said that the men — 11 Bangladeshis and a Myanmar national — are aged between 23 and 40 years old.A 34-year-old Bangladeshi, was arrested for suspected drug trafficking and drug consumption offences.The four-hour operation involved officers from the Singapore Police Force, Ministry of Manpower, Immigration and Checkpoints Authority and Health Sciences Authority.Superintendent Xanthus Tong, deputy commanding officer of CNB’s J Division, said that the operation is part of the bureau’s law enforcement efforts against drug abuse and trafficking, as well as other criminal and illicit activities.«Drugs have no place in Singapore, be it in the community, workplace or residential premises. Our enforcement efforts are geared towards early detection and intervention,» he said, adding that early detection allows risks from drug abuse or illicit activities to be addressed «quickly» and prevent the spread.
Singapore has edged out global competitors to claim the top spot in the Global Talent Competitiveness Index (GTCI) 2025 for the first time.In its 11th edition this year, the annual index — produced by business school INSEAD and in partnership with research organisation Portulans Institute — ranked 135 countries based on 77 indicators including soft skills and AI talent concentration.Singapore topped the annual ranking for the first time, bumping Switzerland to second place, with Denmark, Finland and Sweden trailing behind.Last year, Switzerland topped the ranking, and it has been topping the rank since the report was introduced in 2013.
With more than a thousand ships in Singapore's waters daily, and maritime trade accounting for about 7 per cent of gross domestic product, keeping sea lines open is critical to the Republic's prosperity, said Coordinating Minister for National Security K Shanmugam on Friday (Nov 28).«The environment is congested and it is challenging. You look at the number of ships that fall into our waters — more than 1,000 ships calling and transiting,» he said.«One of the ways in which (we) can be attacked is through an attack on ships in our waterways, or an attack from the sea on Singapore itself,» added Shanmugam, who is also Minister for Home Affairs.He was speaking to reporters on board the navy's Independence-class littoral mission vessel RSS Justice after observing Exercise Highcrest, an annual inter-agency exercise — held from Nov 24 to 28.
A vacation to Chengdu, China, in November turned into a nightmare for 23 tourists from Singapore when they were taken to various shops and pressured by their guide to buy items.Local singer Shawn Tok, winner of the 2007 Campus SuperStar competition, revealed in a series of now-unavailable Instagram Stories that his tour group had been forced to buy jade, silverware, combs and herbal medicines in the first half of their nine-day tour.«The tour guide literally wouldn't let us leave the store until we hit his sales quota,» said the 31-year-old, who alleged that the guide had shouted at them and behaved passive-aggressively towards non-buyers.«We spent a total of 105,000 yuan (S$19,000) and it still wasn't enough.»Tok also said that the guide would wake those who fell asleep on bus rides, and «make (them) listen to his sales pitch».Exhausted from the early mornings and shopping stops, 16 group members decided to take a two-day break and rejoin the group after.But the agency got «very aggressive» and refused to let them back out, Tok alleged.